2012/03/23

My painting based on Christian Schad's "Self-Portrait with model"

The painting "Self-Portrait with model" 1927 of Christian Shcad is striking with it's cool sensitivity and painstaking precision. Making a copy of a painting gives me a deeper understanding of it. It's not an exact replica because I wanted to make it more personal, and I changed a few things. The "model" is my boyfriend and he doesn't have "sfregio". (the facial scar of Naples women, marked by jealous husbands) The Edelweiss is replaced by a palm branch and I made the buildings in the background somewhat different, resembling the buildings in Sofia, where I live. The painting became my own, more cheerful version of Schad's.
IliEve, Selfportrait with model, 2011, acrylic, 76x62 cm ©


No comments:

Post a Comment